Friday, May 23, 2008

Hug Your Child Extra Hard And Long Today



I feel compelled to write this post, as I am very emotional about the recent news from Steven Curtis Chapman's family.

Steven Curtis Chapman is a well known and respected Christian musician who, like Michael W. Smith, has also had several crossover hits. Steven is also one of Stacy's favorite musicians.

On Wednesday, their youngest daughter, Maria Sue, was accidentally run over and killed at their home. Maria Sue was their third child adopted from China, and was adopted through our agency, America World Adoption.

It was Steven's involvement with AWAA that helped us to decide to go with them as our agency to adopt Sophie, and he and his family have been very strong advocates of adoption for quite some time, including setting up a foundation, Shoahannah's Hope, to help families afford to adopt.

When I heard the news yesterday (Thursday), I instantly felt tears in my eyes as I imagined the same thing happening to Sophie. My God, I can't imagine a more terrible thing in the world - just thinking about it brings the emotions and tears back.

Everyone reading this, please pray for Steven and his family in this tragic time.

If you would like to donate on behalf of their daughter, they have set up a special fund under Shoahannah's hope in memorial to Maria Sue:
https://secure2.convio.net/ccsh/site/Donation2?idb=1605530296&df_id=1560&1560.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr007=gvb9a64xz4.app8b
Every dollar goes to a family waiting to bring their child home.

I hugged Sophie extra hard and extra long when I got home last night.

Cherish every minute you have with your kids - every second is a precious gift - don't let it slip by!

Larry

2 comments:

Gramma Terri said...

Honey, I cried when I heard the news. I shudder to think of anything happening to Our Wonderful Gift, Sophia. I also want to pray for the son who was driving. I am sure he is now broken and only God can help him heal. Stay safe and tell all that you love, that you love them. I love you all so much. MOM

Kirstin, Brad and Brayden Krueger said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I can not imagine what they are going through, but we will keep them in our prayers!